The Role of an Independent Children’s Lawyer

Sometimes in family law cases the court will ask Victoria Legal Aid to appoint an independent children’s lawyer. This is what used to be called the child representative. This lawyer helps the court decide what arrangements are in the best interests of the child or children. The court can make an order allowing the lawyer to find out the child’s views.